Position Title: Manufacturing Engineer, Associate thru Senior
Labor Grade: EO7, EO 9, EO11
Provide technical support to manufacturing operations as a self-directed team member with minimal daily supervision. Develop and monitor machining processes, fixtures, methods, tooling, CNC programs, and raw material to meet the needs of manufacturing. Capable of applying innovative methods and strategies to assure a pro-active response to new and present business opportunities. Must be capable of developing manufacturing processes and systems that prove successful on one-off or first time new machinery. Serves as the key interface between manufacturing and product engineering to assure most cost effective manufacturability of new and existing products at the onset. Responsible for continuous process improvement resulting in meeting cost savings objectives.
Primary Responsibilities of Associate Engineer Labor, Grade E07:
- Create, modify, and apply work instructions, procedures, and forms in agreement with Belvac’s Quality Management System.
- Manage projects and available resources to complete an objective staying within budget, on schedule, while meeting the quality and performance requirements.
- Apply process knowledge to product fabrication, assembly, tooling, fixturing and machining, and provide proper documentation such as routers, work instructions, process drawings, etc.
- Basic understanding of metallurgy to recommend raw materials, substitute materials, process materials, while meeting design objectives of components in the most cost effective manner.
- Must be capable of accurately determining labor and material costs by developing structures and routers for components and assemblies.
- Research and prepare documents citing technical requirements and/or attributes for outside services or contracts.
- Must have a basic understanding of geometric tolerance requirements used by Belvac.
- Serve in the role of facilitator to cross functional manufacturing teams to promote and achieve process improvements resulting in mandated cost saving goals set by management.
- Capable of collecting, analyzing and summarizing data to determine performance and trends.
- Coordinate and manage adequate levels of expendable tooling used by the machine shop.
- Utilize basic 2D and solid modeling 3D CAD capabilities.
- Develop CNC Programs for laser cutting as required by manufacturing.
- Ability to analyze manufacturing problems to determine root cause and recommend corrective action.
- Understands and uses Inventory, Manufacturing, Engineering and Financial systems currently in use by BPM.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed to support production needs in a multi-shift production environment
- Other duties as assigned by Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Reports To: Manager, Manufacturing Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a machine shop environment. A combination of practical machining experience, Manufacturing Engineering, or related experience and degree in an Engineering discipline may constitute the 5 years.
- Basic understanding in the use of PC based software i.e.; Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Project Management software, and MRP software used company wide.
All preceding criteria, criteria at next level and time in grade of 2 years (minimum) must be met before eligible for promotion to Manufacturing Engineer labor grade EO 9
Primary Responsibilities of Manufacturing Engineer, Labor Grade E09:
- Apply process knowledge to improve product design.
- Capable of analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Must be capable of accurately determining the labor and material cost of any newly proposed part, assembly, or machine by viewing Belvac or other prints.
- Prepare, analyze and recommend technical attributes relative to bid requests for outside purchase.
- Ability to analyze need, specify and bring to full production machinery required by manufacturing to meet stated sales objectives in the most cost efficient manner.
- Ability to specify castings to meet requirements.
- Must have a thorough understanding of geometric tolerance requirements used by Belvac.
- Capable of resolving any quality issue as it relates to manufacturing internal or external to Belvac.
- Justify major capital improvement expenditures and monitor implementation savings.
- Ability to communicate clearly with all levels of personnel inside and outside the company and capable of presenting technical information to large groups of personnel.
- Ability to develop detailed CAD drawings for part blanks.
- Capable of making changes in existing 2D or solid modeled 3D CAD prints.
- Develop CNC Programs for 3-axis mills and 2 axis lathes as required by manufacturing.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a machine shop environment. A combination of practical machining experience, Manufacturing Engineering or related experience and degree in an Engineering discipline may constitute the 10 years.
- An associate’s degree in a related technical field.
All preceding criteria, criteria at next level and time in grade of 3 years (minimum) must be met before eligible for promotion to Senior Manufacturing Engineer Labor Grade EO 11.
Primary Responsibilities of Senior Manufacturing Engineer, Labor Grade E011:
- Capable of conveying geometric tolerance requirements to the Belvac workforce, Engineering and outside sources.
- Able to lead the manufacturing effort for constant change resulting in diminishing lead-times demanded by global customers.
- Serve the role of leader to cross functional manufacturing teams to promote and achieve process improvements resulting in mandated cost saving goals set by management.
- Must be capable of accurately determining the labor and material cost of any part, assembly, or machine by viewing Belvac or other prints. Must have a proven track record of providing accurate costs to manufacture.
- Ability to design and specify castings to meet requirements.
- Provide technical guidance and input to other functional areas relative to vendor management, cost control, supplier networking, design improvements for commercial items and new vendor sourcing.
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced manufacturing engineers and manufacturing personnel.
- Develop CNC Programs for 5-axis mills and lathes with live tooling as required by manufacturing. Some ability to use enhanced CAM software functions such as process managers and knowledge base capabilities.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in a Manufacturing Engineering or similar position in a precision machine shop, metal fabrication and machine assembly environment. A combination of Manufacturing Engineering experience and degree in an Engineering discipline may constitute 10 of the 15 years. Practical machining experience may constitute up to 5 of the 15 years.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related technical field.